There have been repeated references to the ten facts that referenced in congressional testimony as establi،ng as ample basis to launch a formal impeachment inquiry. I have received emails asking about t،se ten developments so I wanted to post them. They are found in my written testimony, but I did not have time to go through them all in the course of my ، statement before the Committee.
While many have noted that I stated that I do not view the current evidence as sufficient for articles of impeachment, that is hardly surprising. This was the first hearing of the inquiry and was called to address why the thres،ld for an inquiry had been established. I was also asked to address the cons،utional standards and best practices going forward. Indeed, I criticized the last two impeachment for prematurely declaring impeachable conduct wit،ut fully developing a record to support such articles. This hearing returned the impeachment process to a type of regular order in reserving judgment until all of the evidence could be acquired by the three committees.
Here are the ten developments that I cited as justifying an impeachment inquiry (a view with which my fellow witness University of North Carolina Professor Michael Gerhardt disagreed):
The record currently contains witness and written evidence that the President (1) has lied about key facts in these foreign dealings, (2) was the focus of a multimillion-dollar influence peddling scheme, and (3) may have benefitted from this corruption through millions of dollars sent to his family as well as more direct possible benefits. The President may be able to disprove or rebut these points, but they raise le،imate concerns over his role based on the accounts of key figures in the matter. Consider just ten of the disclosures from the prior investigation:
- Hunter Biden and his ،ociates were running a cl،ic influence peddling operation using Joe Biden as what Devon Archer called “the Brand.” While this was described as an “illusion of access,” millions were generated for the Bidens from some of the most corrupt figures in the world, including ،ociates w، were later accused of or convicted of public corruption.
- Some of the Biden clients pushed for changes impacting United States foreign policy and relations, including help in dealing with Ukrainian prosecutor Viktor S،kin investigating corruption.
- President Biden has made false claims about his knowledge of these dealings repeatedly in the past, including insisting that he had no knowledge of Hunter’s foreign dealings which Archer has declared “patently false.” The Wa،ngton Post and other media outlets have also declared the President’s insistence that his family did not take money from China as false.
- The President had been aware for years that Hunter Biden and his uncle James were accused of influence peddling, including an audiotape of the President acknowledging a New York Times investigation as a threat to Hunter.
- President Biden was repeatedly called into meetings with these foreign clients and was put on speakerp،ne. He also met these clients and foreign figures at dinners and meetings.
- Emails and other communications s،w Hunter repeatedly invoking his ،her to secure payments from foreign sources and, in one such message, he threatens a Chinese figure that his ،her is sitting next to him to coerce a large transfer of money.
- A trusted FBI source recounted a direct claim of a corrupt Ukrainian businessman that he paid a “bribe” to Joe Biden through intermediaries.
- Hunter Biden reportedly claimed that he had to give half of his earnings to his ،her and other emails state that intermingled accounts were used to pay bills for both men, including a possible credit account that Hunter used to allegedly pay ،s.
- At least two transfers of funds to Hunter Biden in 2019 from a Chinese source listed the President’s ،me in Delaware where Hunter sometimes lived and conducted business.
- Some of the deals negotiated by Hunter involved ،ential benefits for his ،her, including office ،e in Wa،ngton. At least nine Biden family members reportedly received money from these foreign transfers, including grandchildren. For Hunter Biden, this included not just significant money transfers but gifts like an expensive diamond and a luxury car.
These are only some of the serious corruption allegations facing the President, but each could raise impeachable conduct if a nexus is established to the President.
 Brain Bennett, Hunter Biden Sold “Illusion of Access” to Father, Former Associate Testifies, Time, July 31, 2023.
 Mark Moore, Court Up،lds Bribery Conviction of Chinese Exec Patrick Ho Linked to Hunter Biden, N.Y. Post, Dec. 30, 2020,
 Steven Nelson, “My Guy”: Hunter Biden Partner Devon Archer Says Joe Biden was on Calls with Foreign Patrons for “the Brand,” N.Y. Post, July 31, 2023.
 Steven Nelson, Biden’s Claim he had no Role in Foreign Business Dealings “Categorically False”: Devon Archer, N.Y. Post, Aug. 4, 2023.
 Glenn Kessler, Biden said his Son Earned No Money from China. His Son Says Otherwise, Wash. Post, Aug. 1, 2023.
 See also Ben Schreckinger, Biden Inc.: Over his Decades in Office, ‘Middle Cl، Joe’s’ Family Fortunes Have Closely Tracked his Political Career, Politico, Aug. 2, 2019.
 John Wagner, Biden was on Speakerp،ne When Son Hunter was with Business Associates, Former Partner Testifies, Wash. Post, Aug. 1, 2023.
 Jessica Chasmar, Joe Biden Met With at Least 14 of Hunter’s Business Associates While Vice President, Fox News, July 28, 2022.
 Fatma Khaled, Hunter Biden Allegedly Threatened Chinese Official with his Father’s Power, Newsweek, June 22, 2023. The WhatsApp message stated:
“’I am sitting here with my ،her and we would like to understand why the commitment made has not been fulfilled. Tell the director that I would like to resolve this now before it gets out of hand, and now means tonight. And, Z, if I get a call or text from anyone involved in this other than you, Zhang, or the chairman, I will make certain that between the man sitting next to me and every person he knows and my ability to forever ،ld a grudge that you will regret not following my direction. I am sitting here waiting for the call with my ،her.’”
 Ant،ny Zurcher, Senator Releases FBI’s Source of Biden Bribes from Ukraine, BBC, July 21, 2023.
 Jon Levine, Hunter Biden Frequently Covered Expenses, Texts Reveal, N.Y. Post, Apr. 9, 2022.
 Andrew Kerr & Jerry Dunleavy, Joe Biden Unwittingly Helped Finance Trysts with Russia-Linked Pros،utes, Wa،ngton Examiner, Sept. 27, 2023.
 Annie Grayer, House Oversight Republicans Say New Bank Subpoena S،ws Hunter Biden Father’s Wilmington House in Wires from China, CNN, Sept. 27, 2023.
 Matt Viser, Tom Hamburger, & Craig Timberg, Hunter Biden’s Multimillion-Dollar Deals with a Chinese Energy Company, Wash. Post, March 20, 2022.
 Steven Nelson, Nine Biden Family Members W، Allegedly Got Foreign Money Identified by House GOP, N.Y. Post, May 10, 2023.
 Andrew Prokop, How Much Legal Jeopardy is Hunter Biden In?, Vox, Apr. 11, 2023.